Cello's Doughnuts and Dips

Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 | | Labels: ,

Wednesday morning. I've been tasked to take my sister-in-law to her workplace. I was planning to head right back home right after I dropped her off but then I got an SMS from my main squeeze telling me that their instructor didn't show up for their lecture that morning. We decided to spend time with each other and I was trying to figure out where we could flop ourselves and chat.

I then realized that I was craving for something. I told her to meet me at Cello's



Since it was our first time there, we asked Tyrone, Cello's Davao's operating manager, for a recommendation. I already had my heart set on Cinnamon Crunch but I wanted to try one more doughnut. Tyrone suggested that we try the one with cheese. My dubiousness must've been pretty obvious as he offered to give us a free sample. Still a bit doubtful, I agreed to try it out.

Their regular doughnuts and special doughnuts are both priced at ₱28 which surprised me since "special" usually means costing extra. A box of six doughnuts cost ₱150. 




Pretty soon we had a tray of freshly-made doughnuts on our table and I made a grab for my pick.  It was pretty good. The doughnut was soft, warm and, for the lack of a better term, almost creamy. The topping complimented the warm, soft doughnut; it didn't struggle with how the doughnut tasted.




I savored every bite of that doughnut. I took a drink of water to wash my palate and then reached for the one with cheese. Then I took a bite.

I was pleasantly surprised.

I was imagining it to taste like Cheez Wiz or some sort of cheap cheddar cheese. It didn't.

It was still cheesy but it was subtle. Again, it complemented the sweetness and creaminess of the doughnut. One could say it's almost like eating ensaymada.

One thing I wasn't so thrilled about that morning was their coffee. It didn't taste anything like an americano and the cup was a tad small for the price of ₱80. I suggest you skip it though coffee and doughnuts do go well together.

Tyrone said it was still their soft opening. It's been three weeks and they're still ironing some kinks out of the operation. They're also still trying to get a feel of what a typical day or week is going to be like since they have to order all their ingredients from Manila and it takes more than a week from requesting a batch of ingredients to actually receiving them.

Cello's Doughnuts and Dips will have their grand opening on November 21, Saturday. The operations manager extends his invitation to everyone. Their operating hours for now is from 9:00AM until 7:00PM. They hope to extend the store hours as soon as they have more staff on board.

Visit their website for more information. (Warning: it's Flash-based.)

3 comments:

  1. Ria Jose said...
  2. Gimme some of that!

  3. (@.@) said...
  4. Hello Boink! :)

    Thanks for blogging the store and please visit us again :)

    -Bel from CDD Davao :)

  5. tyron lumawag said...
  6. thanks, i'm happy you liked the cheese ;p

    hope to see you again in the store
    with your friends...i'll do my best to improve the coffee ;p

    tyron